A 13-year-old girl who was sexually abused by her father for four years died while giving birth to his child, police in Brazil have said.
Schoolgirl Luana Ketlen died on December 11 after she was admitted to hospital suffering severe abdominal pains, before medics discovered she was pregnant.
Doctors decided to induce labour and delivered a baby boy – who has survived – before rushing the girl to a specialist care unit. She died en route.
Police subsequently issued a warrant for 36-year-old father Tome Faba, saying they believe he began abusing his daughter when she was aged just nine.
She gave birth to a premature baby boy who miraculously survived.
But following delivery, the girl’s health took a turn for the worse and test results found she was suffering from multiple complications including cirrhosis of the liver, water on the lungs and low blood pressure.
Luana died while being airlifted to a specialist hospital in Manaus, the Amazonas state capital, some 225 miles away (363km).
At a press conference, Coari police chief, José Barradas said: ‘The teenager lived with her parents in a rural area outside the city.
‘She did not realise, until two months ago when she began to feel pains in her abdomen, that she was five months pregnant.
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited
- Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Asset Maintenance Coordinator at APM Terminals
- Customer Experience Agent at Maersk Line
- Customer Success Executive at Interswitch Group
- Career Openings at FBNQuest Merchant Bank