There are sturdy indications that names of some lifeless people may be retained on the current voter register of the Independent National Electoral Commission as a result of the charge concludes plans for the conduct of the general elections slated for February and March.
Investigations had earlier revealed that names of lifeless Nigerians along with three former governors who died years once more have been nonetheless on the INEC register for the general elections.
The former governors are Diepreye Alamieyeseigha (Bayelsa State), Isiaka Adeleke (Osun State) and Patrick Yakowa (Kaduna State). While Yakowa died in December 2012, Alamieyeseigha and Adeleke died in 2015 and 2017 respectively.
Also on the voter document are the names of the late former Vice-President Alex Ekwueme and the late former Minister of Information and Communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili.
It was gathered that the electoral charge would use the current register, which had been despatched to all political occasions, for the 2019 General Elections.
It will also be unsure if the names of the lifeless excellent Nigerians which have been on the charge’s voter register late closing 12 months had been eradicated as no official of the physique gave a selected response to enquiries on whether or not or not the names had been eradicated or not as of Friday.
In an distinctive interview, the National Commissioner and Chairman (Information and Voter Education Committee), Festus Okoye, acknowledged the charge would go ahead to utilize its current register for the 2019 elections.
He outlined that the charge could not unilaterally delete names of lifeless people on its register of voters because of it did not fall inside its mandate to take motion.
According to him, the National Population Commission has been charged with the obligation of registering births and deaths inside the nation.
He acknowledged, “The charge just isn’t going to unilaterally take away any establish from the voter register with out concrete and verifiable data. The charge has printed the official register for the 2019 General Elections containing 84,004,084 registered voters. The official register of voters has been printed and handed over to the registered political occasions. The charge will proceed with the clean-up of the voter register after the 2019 elections.
“The elimination of the names of the deceased from the voter register is ongoing and may proceed immediately after the 2019 elections. We have a register that is good for the conduct of the 2019 elections.’’
He acknowledged the charge would proceed to affiliate with companies and commissions answerable for registering births and deaths in cleaning up the voter register.
“On its part, the commission will continue to run its Automatic Finger Identification System and maintain business rules on the register of voters for purposes of making the register a credible source of information and data for the Nigerian people,” he added.
- BREAKING!! Fresh Crisis Looms In Rivers As Wike Asks LG Chairmen, Youths To Fish Out IPOB Members
- HOT! House-To-House Search Continues In Calabar As Police Arrest Mastermind of CICC Looting, Recover over 1,000 Chairs, Others
- HEALTH: Follow These Steps To Avoid Infections After A ‘Skin To Skin Sex’
- Update: Cross River Governor Reviews Curfew From 4pm To 8am Daily
- Hungry Policeman Caught On Camera Running Away With Looted COVID-19 Palliative (VIDEO)
- Job Vacancies at The Nigeria Union of Pensioners (NUP)
- Dangote Cement Plc Recruitment 2020 for Graduates [33 Positions ]
- Food Concepts Plc Management Graduate Trainee Recruitment ( Food concept Recruitment 2020 )
- Rivers State Ministry of Education Massive Recruitment 2020 for Teachers ( Real Madrid Football Academy Recruitment )
- Latest Job Opportunities at Total Secure Nigeria ( 3 Positions )