Written by Buchi Obichie
– A suit seeking President Muhammadu Buhari’s disqualification from the 2019 presidential election for allegedly lying on oath has been dismissed by the Supreme Court
– The Supreme Court, in its ruling, agreed with the Federal High Court and Court of Appeal which ruled earlier, that the suit was statute-barred
– The ruling was read by Justice Mary Odili who headed the court’s five-man panel
A suit seeking President Muhammadu Buhari’s disqualification from the 2019 presidential election for allegedly lying on oath was dismissed by the Supreme Court on Monday, September 2.
The apex court had been approached by the appellants – Kalu Kalu, Labaran Ismail and Hassy El-Kuris – who sought the nullification of Buhari’s candidacy in the February 23 poll, for allegedly lying under oath, Premium Times reports.
Legit.ng notes that the appellants claimed the president had lied on the CF001 form he submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the election.
Nigerian man arrested over anti-Igbo, Fulani posts on social media
The Supreme Court in its ruling, however, agreed with the Federal High Court and Court of Appeal which ruled earlier, that the suit was statute-barred.
The appellants’ request had been declined by the Federal High Court which ruled on May 2, that the suit had not been filed within the time allowed by law.
Justice Mary Odili read the ruling of the Supreme Court’s five-man panel.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Recall that Legit.ng previously reported that a suit was filed against the academic qualification of President Muhammadu Buhari for the 2019 presidential election by three Nigerians at the Supreme Court.
The apex court was approached by the applicants – Kalu Kalu, Labaran Ismail and Hassy Kyari El-Kuris – to nullify Buhari’s candidacy on academic grounds.
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Recruitment 2021 for a National Programme Officer
- NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarship Award List 2020/2021
- Latest Jobs in a Major Oil and Gas Dealership Company
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- International Medical Corps Job Recruitment ( NGO Jobs in Nigeria )
- Employment Opportunities in a Reputable Financial Institution