Eight people have died and 14 others injured in a road crash in Adamawa State.
The accident occurred near Ngurore, a town on the Numan-Yola Road in Yola South Local Government Area on Wednesday, DAILY POST gathered on Thursday.
Sources said the accident involved a number of vehicles, including one conveying a corpse from Jada town towards Guyuk, which was hit by a Starlet car trying to overtake it.
“The Starlet started to overtake the corpse-bearing vehicle without knowing of an oncoming Toyota Corolla. Both the Starlet and the Toyota coming from the opposite direction were on top speed. Before the starlet could brake, the accident occurred,” a witness said.
Our correspondent was told that the accident occurred at a dangerous bend, and that one of the victims, a woman had her head cut off, which particularly touched onlookers who wailed uncontrollably.
The bend at which the accident happened is a notorious one. Journalists recalled Thursday that some years back, a bus belonging to the Adamawa State Chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) had a crash at the spot.
The Corps Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Adamawa State, Mohammed Hussaini, confirmed the latest accident, saying the dead and the injured had been taken to the state Specialist Hospital, Jimeta, Yola.
Hussaini, who said the incident was a result of reckless driving, urged motorists to always be cautious on the road.
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Asset Maintenance Coordinator at APM Terminals
- Customer Experience Agent at Maersk Line
- Customer Success Executive at Interswitch Group