Advocacy Group In Niger Delta Region Laments Over Abandonment Of Projects By States
Kebetkache Women Development and Resource Centre with support from OXFAM have raised douse over the level of budget rascality in Niger Delta region and south eastern states in a Virtual meeting convey on Friday to brief the Press on Budget Monitoring and Fair Taxation.
The organization through her Executive Director, Emem Okon called on government of Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Edo, Bayelsa and South Eastern States to be more responsive and proactive on budget implementation and fair taxation of the citizens as a road map to good governance, sustainable development and reduction of poverty through participatory, engagement and awareness on fiscal policies.
According to her the budgetary circle in Nigeria is gradually becoming more of an academic exercise that a planned spending pattern of government within a specified period of time. She said: the budgeting system in Nigeria has become a mere academic exercise where every year we come to render figures and it goes on like that. At the end of the day when you look at the performance of the budget, or what we have been able to achieve through the budget, it becomes a total disaster.
“For instance where are the projects located? Can we actually see the projects? Has the money not been carted away? These are issues that we need to address and only social crusaders, women activist and women organizations in the communities can voice out and hold government accountable.
Mrs Okon went further to state that the organization budget intervention is meant to contribute significantly to the start of a movement centered around participatory fiscal governance as well as prudent and accountable use of public resources at the sub-national level.
She lauded Cross River State government for their Anti Tax Law which enables low level business operators to be exempted from paying all forms of tax as a means of reducing the poverty level of some categories of persons involved in those business.
JOBS RECOMMENDED 4 YOU
- Federal Ministry of Water Resources 2020 Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- DSS Recruitment Application Form 2020 is Out
- Nigeria Air Force 2020/2021 Massive Recruitment for Airmen/Airwomen form (BMTC 2020) is out
- Nigeria Police Force Recruitment form 2020
- United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) 2020 Job Recruitment –3 Positions
- Massive Recruitment at Fortune Marine & Energy Services Limited
- Massive Recruitment at Oyo state civil service commission
- 2020 Massive Recruitment at The American University of Nigeria
- Ongoing Jobs Recruitment in a Reputable Plastic Manufacturing Company in Lagos
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- NDDC Fight: Nothing Should Happen To Our Daughter — Wike Sends Strong Warning To Akpabio
- American Court Denies Hushpuppi Bail, To Remain In Prison
- BREAKING: Police Seize Magu’s Official Bulletproof Vehicles, Seal Office
- We Are Not Safe – Nigerians Reacts As 602 Ex-Boko Haram Members Are Set To Be Freed By FG
- C-River School Of Nursing Sciences Graduates Will Now Participate In NYSC — Govt
Share this post with your Friends on