The Yoruba socio-cultural group, Afenifere has condemned the position of President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, Mamman Daura who said competence should be placed above zoning arrangement in the 2023 presidential election.
Daura, said to be the most influential man around the president, had in an interview with the BBC Hausa Service said the most qualified person from any part of the country should succeed his uncle.
Responding, the Afenifere insisted that the country must continue with the common understanding of power rotation between the north and the south.
The spokesman of the group, Joe Odumakin, in a telephone interview with Daily Trust said the country must stand firm and respect the zoning agreement.
“They [northern candidates] would come out definitely, but it is now left for the country to say whether they want to accept the move or they should insist on the common understanding that power should rotate between north and south.
“I heard him [Mamman Daura] talking about competence or whatever. In 2023, he would understand if there is anything called competence. We are watching how things unfold.”
Odumakin said he expected the south to forge a common front when the time comes to ensure that the presidency returned to the region in 2023.
Meanwhile, apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation in Nigeria, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has urged political parties in Nigeria to look the way of the Igbos and give them a chance in 2023.
- Rotary Club Of Calabar -Tinapa Honors Honorable Mrs Blessing Egbara With A Meritorious Award (Photos)
- School Reopening: Wike Talks Tough, Vow To Sanction Schools That Violates COVID-19 Protocols
- Trouble Looms In Nigeria As 36 State Governors Drag Buhari To Supreme Court
- BREAKING!! Lawmaker Cries To Buhari As Herdsmen Takes Over His Community
- CRIME WATCH: N2.67Billion School Feeding Funds Found In Private Accounts – ICPC
- University of Agriculture and Environmental Science Recruitment 2020 for Academic & Non-academic Staff
- Phillips Outsourcing 2020 Bank Contact Center Agents Recruitment (1,000 Openings)
- First Bank Recruitment 2020 for Graduates (4 Positions)
- Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Virgin-Landmarts
- Jobs in Nigeria for Data Entry Clerk at The Center for Community Health and Development International 2020