Ronaldinho Gaucho, former Barcelona midfielder, has been released from a maximum-security prison and placed under house arrest in Paraguay.
The former Brazilian forward was arrested on March 6, for attempting to enter the South American country with a false passport.
He was apprehended alongside Roberto Assis, his brother who doubles as his business manager.
After spending 32 days in prison, Gustavo Amarilla, the judge, on Tuesday, granted the duo permission to move into the Palmaroga hotel in Asuncion — two miles from where they were incarcerated — while they await trial on the charges against them.
Ronaldinho’s lawyers were also directed to pay the sum of $1.6 million into a local bank account as bail on behalf of their clients.
“It’s a significant bail in cash to guarantee they will not flee,” Skysports quoted Amarilla to have said.
The World Cup winner, who celebrated his 40th birthday behind bars, was invited to Paraguay by a local casino owner and had arrived last month to take part in a football clinic for children and a book launch.
Ronaldinho was named FIFA world player of the year in 2004 and 2005.
He also won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 and the Champions League with FC Barcelona in 2006.
– The Cable
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Career Opportunities at International Breweries Plc
- Abia State Government Recruitment 2021/2022 | How to Apply Online
- Restaurant Management Trainee Program at Sundry Foods Limited – 9 Openings
- Job Vacancies at Joemarine Nautical Company Nigeria Limited – 20 Openings
- World Bank Group Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health