Akwa Ibom State is 35 years old today. The state was created along with Katsina State on September 23, 1987 by former military President, Ibrahim Babangida.
At its creation, the Hilltop Mansion has so far been occupied by ten governors, from Colonel Tunde Ogbeha to current Deacon Udom Gabriel Emmanuel. Overall nevertheless, Senator Godswill Obot Akpabio’s accomplishments from 2007 to 2015 are immeasurable.
Below are some of the achievements of former Governor, Senator Godswill Akpabio:
1. Free and Compulsory Education.
2. Free Medical/Health Care to Children and the Elderly.
3. Building of an International Airport.
4. Payment of 13th Month Salary to civil servants fittingly dubbed AkpabioMber
5. Building of Four Flyovers.
6. Building of the new Government house.
7. Provision of Civil Service Buses which are still conveying civil servants from their respective LGAs to Uyo today.
8. Building of the 21st Century Anniversary Hospital in Uyo.
9. Building of new Ikot Ekpene Correctional Facility etc.
10a Building of Five Cottage Hospitals in Akwa Ibom State.
10b. Building of new Police Secondary School and also Mobile Police base
10c. Attracting a Federal polytechnic to Akwa Ibom State (Federal Polytechnic- Ukana)
10d. initiated the construction of 1000 units Housing Estate per senatorial estate at Urua,Eket and Ikot Ekpene, amongst other Housing Projects.
10e. Building of an International Stadium in Uyo known as Godswill Akpabio Int’l Stadium
Not to mention : the construction of a state of the arts Governor’s office totally ICT compliant
(2) Construction of a befitting Deputy Governor’s lodge with banqueting facilities,
(3) Construction of 31 numbered security estates in each local Government area of Akwaibom state;dualization of numerous roads such as EkomIman Abak with highest bridge between ravines,dualization of Oron road to Airport,Dualization of Idoro road to Itu,Uyo /Ikot Ekpeneroad now completed by the current Government,dualization of IkotEkpene to Abak,over 750 roads including EnenNsit(44km) and Abak /Etim Ekpo/Ika roads(67km /bridge).
(4) Impactful human empowerment including: turning boys to men and abolishing the houseboy/house girl syndrome etc.
(5) Attracting a Naval base to Ikot abasi (NN Jubilee)
(6) Construction and use of underground pipe jacking technology for drainage control(40 ft below houses) amongst other laudable and indelible achievements.
(7) Construction of the State banquet hall with industrial laundry and industrial kitchen facilities two floors below with numerous lifts and modern guest houses.
(8) Construction of the best E-library project built in west Africa.
(9) Sponsorship of over 20 thousand Christian’s to Jerusalem on Christian pilgrimages and at least 5.5 thousand Muslims to Mecca in 8 years.
(10) Sponsored thousands of Akwaibom children abroad in various Educational and Vocational courses ,one of whom returned with award for solving a 240 year mathematical puzzle in India.
(10)a. Led Akwaibom Children to break the Guinness World record for assembling the largest group of Christmas Carol singers ever assembled in one place (Godswill Akpabio Unity Choir of 25,272 Choristers)
(10)b. Completion of Ibom Power Plant at Ikot Abasi and the Production of over 191 Megawatts of electricity by 2013.
(10)c. In partnership with UK investors, GOA, constructed and commissioned a Gas processing plant at Ibono/ Esit Eket with 69 km of underground gas pipeline to Ikotabasi (Ibom power) and 52 km to Odukpani(NIPP).
(10)d. Completed 14 storey Sheraton by Four Point Hotel(fully furnished); and initiated the Tropicana complex with completed Mall, six Cinema studios and ongoing I5 floor Hilton Hotel Uyo etc.
(10)e. Built a Dual Campus State University and Graduated the First Set of Students in 2015, with His Highness, Najib Hussaini Adamu the Emir of Kazaure, (1998- to date,Jigawa), as 1st Chancellor before exiting office.