Army aborts militants’ invasion of Calabar
Posted by Eyo Charles, Calabar
It took the quick intervention of soldiers and other security personnel in Calabar to abort the movement of over 150 militants from the Calabar creeks from vandalizing the Margaret Ekpo International airport.
The militants were protesting non adherence to the agreements the state governor Sir Ben Ayade reached with them last year when he convinced them to surrender their arms and come out of the creeks.
The militants were able to move from communities in Akpabuyo, Bakassi LGAs and Calabar suburbs into the main Calabar town where they blocked major roads and occupied part of the airport for six hours, harassing members of the public.
Spokesman of the militants who did not give his name said, “Last year when the state government forced us to surrender some of our guns in a public ceremony, we came out from the creeks and accepted hoping the government would play out its own part. We were assured that our members would be taken care of by payment of monthly stipends, and trainings. One year after, they have not done anything.”
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Labour Congress has called the State government to respect and implement all the agreements reached with the militants to abate the heightened insecurity, kidnapping, cultism and killings in the state.
The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) in an appeal to the state government signed by its Vice chairman, Comrade Lawrence Achuta and Comrade Ayi, acting secretary, decried the increasing spate of insecurity in the state, and called for respect and implementation of all agreements reached with the militants to resolve the insecurity problems.
- Current Job Recruitment for Bank Tellers in a Top Leading Mortgage Bank in Lagos
- Academic / Non-Academic Staff Recruitment at Admiralty University of Nigeria 2020
- Nationwide Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Multipro Consumer Product Limited (Tolaram Group)
- Current Job Vacancies at Medexia Limited 2020
- Massive Recruitment at Fortune Marine & Energy Services Limited
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- Cyber Criminals: Saraki Fires Back At APC
- INTERVIEW: Things Worse For The North Now, Buhari Has Failed Us ― Shariff
- Drama As Hope Uzodinma, Yahaya Bello Campaign Against Obaseki Despite Owing Salaries
- Buhari And His Party, APC Overburdening Poor Nigerians With Taxes — PDP Cries Out
- BREAKING!! Edo APC And National Caretaker Committee Clash Over List Of Edo Guber Campaign Council
Share this post with your Friends on