Bayelsa Guber: We Shall Obey Legitimate Court Orders Served On Us – INEC
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said it will obey all legitimate court orders served on it in respect of the Bayelsa state governorship election, although it will not halt its plans as had been organized.
INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr. Festus Okoye, said all needed for the elections had been deployed, adding that the election will go on as planned and scheduled.
It would be recalled that a Federal High Court, sitting in Yenagoa, in a case filed by one of the governorship aspirants of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri, had on Thursday nullified the APC governorship primary, which produced the candidate, Chief David Lyon.
The development had generating some form of confusion over the state of the election, which is scheduled for Saturday, November 16 in Bayelsa state.
The judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Jane Inyang, while giving her ruling, had restrained the INEC from including the governorship candidate of the APC, Chief Lyon, in the election.
But responding to a question on how INEC intends to manage the new situation, Okoye said the commission would do what it has always done in circumstances like this; obey legitimate court orders, however, it will still go ahead with its plans for the election, using the materials already prepared before the judgment was given.
“I will tell you just two things. The first thing is that the election on Saturday will go on, and the second thing is that we are going to obey all legitimate court orders served on us. The election will go on, the ballot papers have been printed and the ballot papers are being deployed.
“Security forces are being deployed, INEC staff are being deployed and we are set for the conduct of this election. If there’s any court order in relation to what we are doing, we will obey all court orders because that has been the tradition of the commission; to obey all legitimate court orders,” he said.
- Rotary Club Of Calabar -Tinapa Honors Honorable Mrs Blessing Egbara With A Meritorious Award (Photos)
- School Reopening: Wike Talks Tough, Vow To Sanction Schools That Violates COVID-19 Protocols
- Trouble Looms In Nigeria As 36 State Governors Drag Buhari To Supreme Court
- BREAKING!! Lawmaker Cries To Buhari As Herdsmen Takes Over His Community
- CRIME WATCH: N2.67Billion School Feeding Funds Found In Private Accounts – ICPC
- University of Agriculture and Environmental Science Recruitment 2020 for Academic & Non-academic Staff
- Phillips Outsourcing 2020 Bank Contact Center Agents Recruitment (1,000 Openings)
- First Bank Recruitment 2020 for Graduates (4 Positions)
- Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Virgin-Landmarts
- Jobs in Nigeria for Data Entry Clerk at The Center for Community Health and Development International 2020