Suspected members of the Boko Haram sect have killed many people in Garkida, a town in Gombi local government area of Adamawa state, according to residents.
A source told TheCable that the insurgents broke into the town around 7pm on Friday, shooting sporadically.
Soldiers who were said to have engaged them in a gun battle later pulled back for reinforcement.
After the security operatives beat a retreat, the insurgents were said to have moved into the town fully, setting many houses on fire.
“Garkida is currently on fire… many people have been killed and their houses covered with smoke,” he said.
The source said having wreaked havoc on Garkida, the insurgents advanced to neighboring towns.
Another source corroborated his account but said the security operatives have returned to the town.
“People ran to hide inside the mountains while they watched their houses being burnt by the insurgents,” another resident said.
A former chairman of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) in Adamawa, who is a native of Garkida, said he got the information that Boko Haram fighters overpowered soldiers in the town.
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement