BREAKING: National Assembly okays autonomy for LG, INEC to be in charge of Local
The National Assembly on Tuesday, granted full financial and administrative autonomy to all the 774 local council authorities across Nigeria by amending section 124 of the nation’s constitution.
The section provides a consequential provision for the making of the local councils, a full third tier government without undue interference from the state governments.
The ammendment was one of the 22 others approved by the House of Representatives last week and ratified by the Senate on Tuesday.
Both chambers had through a conference committee harmonised versions of the ammendments into the constitution carried out by each of them last month.
By the development, the National Assembly had ratified all the 23 clauses and sections that had been ammended by both chambers.
The newly ammended document which would be sent to States Houses of Assembly, for approval, also approved the creation of the Office of Auditor – General of the Local Government as
well as the State Local Government Service Commission.
The section equally deleted the State
Independent Electoral Commission from the constitution thereby vesting the powers to conduct council elections on the Independent National Electoral Commission.
It however, retained the immunity clause in the constitution for the President and Governors by adopting the Senate version of the ammendments on the issue and rejected the House of Representatives version which removed the immunity clause.
The National Assembly also made provisions for Independent candidacy in future elections in Nigeria by ammending sections 65 and 106 of
the 1999 constitution!!!
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Recruitment 2021 for a National Programme Officer
- NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarship Award List 2020/2021
- Latest Jobs in a Major Oil and Gas Dealership Company
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- International Medical Corps Job Recruitment ( NGO Jobs in Nigeria )
- Employment Opportunities in a Reputable Financial Institution