Yobe State SUBEB recruitment portal Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs Recruitment

BREAKING!! Nigerian Government Draws Battle Lines With CNN Over Second Report On Lekki Shootings

1 min


Nigerian Government Draws Battle Lines With CNN Over Second Report On Lekki Shootings

 

Weetalknaija.com.ng can authoritavely report that, Nigerian Government has drawn a battle line with Cable Network News (CNN) over second report on Lekki Shootings. Click Here to read full details on…

The Minister of Information and Culture , Lai Mohammed , has accused CNN of desperation over its second report on the Lekki toll plaza shootings that happened on October 20 .
The Minister said this on NTA on Wednesday .
CNN had on Tuesday released a second ‘ investigative report ’ on the shootings at Lekki toll plaza during the # EndSARS protests amid threats of sanction from the Federal Government .
But the minister faulted CNN’ s reports , saying it lacked credible sources .
When asked about the second CNN’ s report, Mohammed said, “ It shows that they (CNN ) are desperate. The so- called recent development has been seen before. There is nothing new . If there is anything new, it is a contradiction of CNN ’ s position.
“ What we are asking CNN is that where is your evidence? The military has been consistent . CNN contravenes the basic principles of journalism – fairness, and balance.
‘ They did the story without contacting the Federal Government for its own side. They relied on second and third parties narratives.
“ They (CNN ) were caught spreading fake news and they are trying to escape .
“ We are accusing them (CNN ) of basing their stories on videos sourced on social media . CNN has been inconsistent . It also doctored the video it got.
“ We are confident in our position.”
On the letter addressed to Jonathan Hawkins, VP ( Communications), CNN Centre, Atlanta , Georgia, USA, the minister said , “ We have received an acknowledgment and we were told that the letter has been passed to the editorial team .”
CNN , in its second report titled, ‘ Analysis of CCTV footage from Lekki toll gate raises new questions about shooting ’, stated that it had obtained the video and subsequently analysed its content .
CNN also compared the CCTV footage with some of the videos on social media which the National Broadcasting Commission had sanctioned three local television stations for using and concluded that the authorities had more questions to answer .
The fresh report also shows the Commander , 81 Division, Brig. Gen Ahmed Taiwo , admitting before the judicial panel that his men indeed took live ammunition to the tollgate .
The CNN report also highlights the fact that Brig.Gen Taiwo ’ s claim is at variance with that of the minister who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.

READ ALSO  BREAKING!! SSANU, NASU To Begin Strike on Monday Over Unpaid Salaries

 

BREAKING!! Nigerian Government Draws Battle Lines With CNN Over Second Report On Lekki Shootings

 

RSS
Jobs Vacancies in Nigeria


Like it? Share with your friends!

Jake Clifford

Jake Clifford is a Nigerian Born blogger and a fast growing Journalist, whose aim is to inform Nigerians with happening across Nigeria. Send story tips to him via [email protected] or

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.