The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has commenced a probe of a former Governor of Rivers State, Peter Odili, over an alleged N100 billion fraud.
Odili served as Rivers Governor between 1999 and 2007, and it was within this period that he was alleged to have diverted N4 billion in cash to a bank, for personal use.
According to the EFCC, the former Governor was said to have used N1.5 billion for his Doctorate Degree, in the United States, US, and also got a hall named after him in Lincoln University, US.
The anti-graft Commission, in its probe, also alleged that about N2 billion was transferred by the current Governor of the State, Nyesom Wike, into the account said to belong to the former Governor’s companies.
“Between 2005 and 2006, former Governor Odili paid about N1.5 billion, which was used to obtain a Doctorate Degree, and naming of a Hall after him in Lincoln University, USA, and so many others.
“From the same account, he moved N3 billion to an Oil company, for shares, N1.4 billion to a bottle water company, and about N1.8 billion to a communication company, which as of 2006, had no share, as it was not a quoted company.
“When the investigation commenced, he quickly involved the State Government to take over the shares, but the State Goverment was not comfortable, and requested that the companies return their money”, part of the statement read.
Odili, however, has run to the Federal High Court, in Abuja, pleading to the court to stop the anti-graft Commission from investigating him.
In a suit with tag FHC/ PHC/C3/26/2020, dated March 12, the former Governor argued that the EFCC has been threatening to arrest and prosecute him, despite a court injunction by a Federal High Court, in 2007, restraining it from doing so.
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement