BREAKING: Supreme Court Gives Final Judgement on Bayelsa Governorship Election
The Supreme Court sitting in Abuja, on Wednesday, has dismissed the Alliance for Democracy (AD), Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party (ANDP) and LM appeals against the Bayelsa Deputy Governor, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, and the Accord Party’s case against Governor Douye Diri.
In October 2, Weetalknaija.com.ng had reported that a five-man panel of the court of appeal had overturned a ruling which nullified the election of Douye Diri as governor of Bayelsa State.
The court held that the Bayelsa Election Petition Tribunal acted outside its jurisdiction by nullifying the election of Diri’s election.
In a unanimous judgment, the five-man panel of the court said the Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party failed to show that it had a valid candidature that was unlawfully excluded by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The court berated the tribunal for ignoring the fact that the petition of ANDP was status barred in addition to the fact that the party presented an unqualified candidate to INEC in the November 16, 2019 Governorship election in Bayelsa State.
The Bayelsa State Gubernatorial Petition Tribunal in August nullified Diri’s election.
The election was nullified based on a petition filed by the Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party, which argued that it was unlawfully excluded from participating in the election.
Delivering judgment on Monday, August 17, the panel, led by Justice Yunusa Musa, ruled that the election was unlawful due to the exclusion of ANDP and its candidate.
Justice Musa also ordered INEC to conduct a fresh election in Bayelsa within 90 days.
The tribunal had earlier dismissed three petitions that sought Diri’s sacking as Bayelsa State governor.
More details to follow…
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021