Chelsea midfielder, Willian, has confirmed he asked to take the crucial penalty which Ross Barkley failed to convert, in their 1-0 Champions League loss to Valencia on Tuesday.
Barkley skimmed his attempt off the top of the crossbar in the 87th minute with the scoreline at 1-0.
The England midfielder had been introduced from the bench seven minutes earlier and grabbed the ball, following a debate with starters Willian and Jorginho.
Blues boss, Frank Lampard, later revealed Barkley to be the designated penalty taker.
But Willian admits he had hoped to be entrusted with the chance.
“He was confident about taking it and I asked to take it too.
“But he was confident. He ended up missing it. That could happen to me or any other player, like Jorginho who also takes the penalties.
“It is important he keeps his head up. When you win, you win together and when you lose, you lose together too,” Willian told reporters.
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Asset Maintenance Coordinator at APM Terminals
- Customer Experience Agent at Maersk Line