Coronavirus lockdown causes global shortage of condoms
Coronavirus lockdown has caused many production firms shutting down due, Malaysia’s Karex Bhd, the world’s biggest producer of condoms has been forced to shut down production.
The industry makes one in every five condoms globally. It has not produced a single condom in its three Malaysian factories for more than a week because of a lockdown imposed by the government to halt the spread of the virus.
According to The Guardian, that is already a shortfall of 100 million condoms, normally marketed internationally by brands such as Durex, supplied to state healthcare systems such as Britain’s NHS or distributed by aid programmes such as the UN Population Fund.
“It will take time to jumpstart factories and we will struggle to keep up with demand at half capacity,” said the chief executive, Goh Miah Kiat.
Malaysia is south-east Asia’s worst-affected country, with 2,161 coronavirus infections and 26 deaths. The lockdown is due to remain in place at least until 14 April.
The other major condom-producing countries are China, where the coronavirus originated and led to widespread factory shutdowns, and India and Thailand, where infections are rising.
- Vacancy for Personal Assistant at Empire Trust Microfinance Bank
- Ongoing Job recruitment in an Indigenous Non-Profit and Non-Governmental Organization
- Good News As Atiku Abubakar Commence Massive Recruitment weeks after sacking over 400 Staff
- 2020 Massive recruitment at American University of Nigeria
- Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC Recruitment How to Apply Now!
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- FG Approves Establishment Of 12 Research Centres of Excellence In Nigerian Universities
- Kogi: We Must Reclaim Our Stolen Mandate — PDP Gives Musa Wada Hope
- 2023: Will Atiku Take Another Shot At The Presidency, What Are His Chances Of Wining?
- Serious Trouble In NDDC As Akpabio, Ex-NDDC Managing Director Fight Dirty
- Lockdown: One Feared Dead As Police, Thugs Ransack Ogun Community
Share this post with your Friends on