The management of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), Abeokuta, Ogun State has laid off a large chunk of its workforce in one of the latest fallouts of the coronavirus pandemic.
Some of the affected workers were asked to stay at home until further notice.
Head, Human Resources, Administration and Procurement of the organisation, Olanike Ogunleye, in a letter sighted by The Nation correspondent, said the COVID-19 crisis has made it impossible to sustain the workforce.
“As you are aware, the current COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on all our businesses significantly. This has resulted in making some difficult business decisions.
“Due to this situation, we regret to inform you that your employment will be put on hold till further notice.
“This temporary cessation is effective from 31st May, 2020 and until business picks up and you are recalled back to work.
“Please note that you are not eligible for any payment during this period of cessation.”
The Managing Director of OOPL, Vitalise Ortese, while responding to reporters’ inquiry, said the complex had been struggling to survive since the outbreak of COVID-19.
The hospitality arm, he said, recorded zero patronage in March.
He, however, took exception to reports in some online platforms that the management “sacked its workers.”
“We didn’t sack anybody. It was clearly stated there, temporary cessation.
“We have not made a kobo since March 16 or thereabouts. No bailout and we didn’t get palliative from the government. How do we pay salaries? It’s normal we have to allow people go temporarily.
“It happens everywhere. Banks are laying off and other organisations have asked people to go home.
“Everyone is affected, including me. All members of staff are affected.
“Obasanjo’s children are affected, even Obasanjo himself is affected.”
– The Nation
- Current UBA Bank Recruitment For May 2021
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager