The Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) on Wednesday said they have aligned with the federal government to provide a two-month rebate of free electricity to their customers nationwide.
In a statement by the Executive Director, Research and Advocacy at the Association of Nigeiarian Electricity Distributors (ANED), Barrister Sunday Oduntan, said the decision was in recognition of the challenging effects of the coronavirus (COVID-19) on the economic and daily lives of the customers. Oduntan, who is also the spokesman for the DisCos, said: “We are also completely aligned with the plans to ensure palliative measures, including free electricity supply to all Nigerians for two months, to make life easier, during the lockdown period. Details of implementation to come soon.”
Oduntan also said the initiative is a fulfilment of the DisCos’ commitments to the nation as they align themselves with the efforts of the National Assembly and the Federal Executive to mitigate the hardships that are currently being borne by their customers and Nigerian citizens.
The DisCos commended the lawmakers, the Executive arm and the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) for their initiative adding that they are committed to working with them to ensure more efficient power supply within the difficult period.
The power firms also reiterated their commitments to improving service delivery to the nation during this COVID-19 pandemic period and thereafter as they advised their customers to stay at home and stay safe. Daily Trust reports that the House of Representatives had on Saturday called for the supply of free electricity to Nigerians for two months as part of measures to mitigate the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila made the call at a meeting between the National Assembly leadership and the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmad, and the Director-General of the Budget Office of the Federation, Ben Akabueze, among others.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- BREAKING!! Arsenal Defeat Chelsea To Win FA Cup
- The Environment Is Our Heritage’ We Must Work Hands In Gloves To Stop Those Destroying It – DG CRSEPA
- Southern Kaduna: Hope Dashed As Killings Persists Despite Curfew, Military Enforcement
- I can’t Remember The Number of People I Have Killed Because They Are Many – Boko Haram Fighter
- Former PDP Chairman Dumps Party, Decamp To APC
- Job Vacancies at International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Latest Job in Nigeria at Zetech Oil Services Nigeria Limited (5 Positions)
- Virgin Landmarts Limited Job Recruitment for Graduates (4 Positions)
- Latest Jobs in Nigeria today 2020 at Adamawa State Polytechnic
- Panafric Ocean & Energy Limited 2020 Job Recruitment ( 4 Positions )