Cross River APC Multiple Court Cases: Owan-Enoh, Obono-Obla Drag Prince Otu, APC, INEC To Court
The crisis rocking the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC in Cross River State has taken a new dimension as aggrieved members, governorship aspirant, Owan-Enoh and Senatorial aspirant, Okoi Obono-Obla filed separate litigations, one, over the conduct of the recent Primary elections in Central Senatorial District of Cross River State, while the other, to challenge Prince Otu’s School Certificates.
In an originating summons before a Calabar High Court, Senator Enoh wants the court to determine:
1. Whether Prince Otu was qualified to participate in the election primaries of the APC conducted on the 26th May, 2022 in Cross River State, having not been cleared by the Screening Committee of the All Progressives Congress.
2. Whether, having been disqualified by the Screening Committee and Screening Appeal Committee for questionable academic credentials and failure to produce his First School Leaving Certificate nor his West African School Certificates, Prince Otu, ought to have participated in the election primaries of the APC conducted on the 26th May, 2022
3. Whether the APC National Organizing Secretary has overriding power to clear Prince Otu, who was disqualified by the Screening Committee and the Screening Appeal Committee, being the bodies responsible for the clearance of aspirants for the APC primaries.
4. Whether an individual who had been disqualified by the Screening Committee and the Screening Appeal Committee, but was cleared by a body not responsible for clearing such an individual to participate in the APC primaries, did not constitute a breach of the Constitution of the All Progressives Congress.
5. Whether, in the absence of an Appeal to a domestic organ of the APC, superior to its Screening Committee and the Screening Appeal Commitee, Prince Otu, was eligible to participate in the APC election primaries.
Obono-Obla Files Lawsuit To Nullify APC Cross River Central Senatorial District Primaries
In another development, a former personal assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Prosecutions, Okoi Obono-Obla, has instituted litigation against the All Progressives Congress, APC, over the conduct of the recent Primary elections in Central Senatorial District of Cross River State.
Obono-Obla who lost out in his quest to grab the party’s ticket for the Cross River Central Senatorial district at the primaries held last week, said in a statement on Tuesday evening said that his case is premised on four substantial grounds of law including the failure of the APC to conduct the primaries with democratically elected delegates as contemplated by the provisions of the 2022 Electoral Act.
He added that he had petitioned the outcome of the election since 30th May 2022 but inexplicably the appeal panel never sat to hear the petition, thus, he had no choice than to take his complaint to the Court of law.
Obla also wondered if there will be a re-enactment of Senator Agom Jariegbe ‘s saga in APC.
Recall that the former presidential aide had predicted doom for the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Cross River State, saying the party would suffer a “massive defeat if elections are held today.”
He also added that the party would not win a single seat if the elections are held now due to the infighting within the party.