EDITORIAL: Bayelsa 2019 gubernatorial election : what I learnt
Last week, precisely on the 12th of November, 2019, I was here to admonish my friends to follow the Bayelsa election because I was sure something was going to happen. Let me go straight to the point.
In 2007, former President Goodluck Jonathan gave House of Representatives ticket to HE Governor Seriake Henry Dickson to represent the good people of Sagbama/Ekeremor Federal Constituency. In 2011, his loyalty to President Jonathan earned him a return ticket which made him the first person to be elected twice into the Green Chamber of our National Assembly in his Constituency.
He was sworn in on the 14th of February 2012 as the Executive Governor of Bayelsa State. There was no crisis between him and his political godfather, Goodluck Jonathan, until the later lost the 2015 presidential election to the incumbent.
The desire to relegate all the PDP leaders in Bayelsa State was so much for Dickson. Although, his choice of Senator Duoye Diri, who is representing Bayelsa Central in the National Assembly at the moment created a little bit of issue because the party leaders wanted Mr. Alaibe who enjoyed the support of the former President.
The emergence of Senator Diri as the standard bearer of the PDP would have been a manageable issue should Mr. Dickson didn’t become overambitious along the line. Mr. Seriake Dickson wanted to go to the Senate and therefore, he went to bring Senator Erwujakpo as running mate to Senator Diri. Senator Erwujakpo is a kinsman of Dickson, he served as Dickson’s Legislative Aide and also as a Commissioner under Dickson just like the way Senator Diri served under Dickson’s administration. It is important to note that Senator Erwujakpo is also from Sagbama Local Government as Mr. Dickson.
What Dickson wanted to do was to put the whole of the PDP structure under him. The National Leadership of the PDP did not call Dickson to order. After several calls to Mr. Dickson to change his choice of Mr. Erwujakpo yielded no result, PDP leaders led by Goodluck Jonathan decided to play the spoiler game.
As INEC has officially declared Mr. David Lyon, the APC candidate, as the winner of the Bayelsa 2019 Gubernatorial Election, Mr. Dickson is now the only loser in Bayelsa State.
1) Senator Diri will continue as a Senator till 2023.
2) Senator Erwujakpo will continue as a Senator till 2023.
3) Bayelsa APC will be grateful to Jonathan and other leaders of the PDP who made this victory a reality and they will still be relevant.
4) Dickson cannot move to the APC as Hon. Timipre Silver will frustrate him.
5) PDP will in the interim go low in Bayelsa and Dickson will be held responsible.
In all, Dickson is the major loser in this just concluded Election.
Lesson: We must learn to know when to trade away some things. We can never have everything in life. If we keep pursuing to have everything, we will lose everything in the process.
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Recruitment 2021 for a National Programme Officer
- NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarship Award List 2020/2021
- Latest Jobs in a Major Oil and Gas Dealership Company
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- International Medical Corps Job Recruitment ( NGO Jobs in Nigeria )
- Employment Opportunities in a Reputable Financial Institution