Ex President Kills Himself Before Arrest
Former Peruvian president Alan Garcia died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head as police were preparing to arrest him on Wednesday morning.
His death was confirmed by current President Martin Vizcarra, who expressed his condolences over Twitter.
Garcia, who served as president from 1985 to 1990 and from 2006 to 2011, was under investigation for money laundering and taking bribes in connection with a massive corruption scandal that has engulfed a number of former Latin American leaders.
When police arrived to execute an arrest warrant at his home at 6:30 a.m., Garcia said he wanted to call his attorney and went to his bedroom, Interior Minister Carlos Morán told CNN affiliate TV Peru.
Moments later, a gunshot was heard. Officers forced entry into the bedroom, where they found Garcia with a wound to the head, Morán said.
Garcia, 69, was rushed by police to a hospital in the capital Lima, where he was resuscitated three times, but doctors were ultimately unable to save him, according to the health minister.
“The former president made the decision to shoot himself,” his lawyer Erasmo Reyna said outside the Casimiro Ulloa hospital before Garcia’s death.
“Devastated by the death of former President Alan Garcia, I send my condolences to his family and loved ones,” President Vizcarra tweeted.
- Current Job Recruitment for Bank Tellers in a Top Leading Mortgage Bank in Lagos
- Academic / Non-Academic Staff Recruitment at Admiralty University of Nigeria 2020
- Nationwide Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Multipro Consumer Product Limited (Tolaram Group)
- Current Job Vacancies at Medexia Limited 2020
- Massive Recruitment at Fortune Marine & Energy Services Limited
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- BREAKING!! Places Of Worship Told To Stop Singing, Chanting As COVID-19 Cases Continues To Spread
- Three Million Nigerians Apply For N-Power Jobs
- Edo 2020: SDP Remains The Only Alternative For Edo People
- JUST IN!! NYSC Issues Obaseki New Certificate
- HAPPENING NOW!! Calabar Popular Market Currently On Heavy Fire
See more posts about
Share this post with your Friends on