BBC reported that Iran State TV said on early Wednesday, that the attack was their revenge operations over the killing of its Revolutionary Guard Gen Qasem Soleimani.
“We are warning all American allies, who gave their bases to its terrorist army, that any territory that is the starting point of aggressive acts against Iran will be targeted,” Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) stated, according to BBC.
The ballistic missiles attacks are seen by Pentagon as retaliation following the slain of Iran General Qasem Soleimani on Friday by US, and coming shortly after the burial of the General, with hitting of Irbil and Al-Asad airbases.
With the attacks indicating an escalation of the feud, the number of casualties; those killed or wounded in the attack is not yet known.
Iran news agency Fars, had earlier showed a clip said to be of ‘tens’ of missiles being launched on Asad Air Base in Northwestern Iraq, that houses both Iraq and US troops.
“The attack is the beginning of a harsh Iranian revenge for the death of Gen. Qasem Soleimani,” Iran said, according to Fars.
Meanwhile, Pentagon spokesperson, Jonathan Hoffman, on Tuesday evening said that Iran had launched more than a dozen missiles at the al-Asad airbase housing US troops and American and coalition forces in the town of Erbil and that Pentagon is assessing the damage done by the attacks as reported by the CNN.
“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region,” Hoffman said.
Washington Post reported that the White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham acknowledged the attacks,
“The officials were aware of the reports of attacks on US facilities in Iraq. The president has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team,” Grisham said.