Following the nationwide peaceful protest against police brutality, which have virtually put on hold most activities in the affected states, the Lagos State chairman of Inter Party Advisory Council (IPAC) and the chairman of Social Democratic Party (SDP), Hon. Femi Olaniyi (Ferrari) has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC, Lagos Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) to as a matter of urgency postpone all bye elections in country, including the Lagos East Senatorial and Kosofe Constituency 11 MHA Bye election slayed for October 31, 2020.
In a press released issued by the IPAC chairman, INEC should postpone all bye elections nationwide by two weeks, because all political parties could not campaign as required due to the #ENDSARS protest nationwide.
“No political party has been able to go out and campaign since the eruption of #Endsars protest, so we are appealing and calling on the INEC and Lagos REC to as a matter of urgency postpone all bye elections”.
Read full speech below:
Ladies and Gentlemen of the press.
In view of the present on goings in the country generally, we hereby request as follows:
1. INEC should postpone all bye elections nationwide by two weeks, because all political parties could not campaign as required due to the #ENDSARS protest nationwide. Going ahead with the election on 31st October will be a bias action against the new and upcoming political parties that needed to create more awareness. This is the first election in Lagos after the de-registration of some political parties and campaign can only be done during election period to make known to the public the current registered parties.
2. We also call out and appeal to all protesters to keep as peaceful as it could ever be.
The conveners should not allow hudlums to hijack the protest from them to commit crime or attack people.
3. We also condemn the attack on police vehicles conveying men of the force to their duty post at Ebute Metta by hoodlums. We are only calling for police reforms to remove the bad eggs among them, and not to eradicate them.
We appeal to the commissioner of police in Lagos to keep the men calm and handle the matter with utmost descret and understanding.
Finally, we appreciate Governor Sanwo-olu for ordering students to stay at home during the period of this protest for their safety. It’s a right move in the right direction.
We urge parents and guidians to keep their children and wards under control and not be involved in any criminal activities.
Hon. Femi Olaniyi (Ferrari)
Lagos IPAC Chairman.
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Asset Maintenance Coordinator at APM Terminals
- Customer Experience Agent at Maersk Line
- Customer Success Executive at Interswitch Group