Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, has said that the forthcoming employment of teachers in the state would be strictly based on merit.
He spoke on Wednesday during the official opening of the secretariat of the Rivers Nigeria Labour Congress in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
He said, “We need teachers. But the employment of teachers will be based on examination. It will be based on merit.
“The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education and the Chairman of Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board have been directed to determine how many teachers are needed before a consultant is engaged to conduct the examination.
“For me, Rivers first before any other thing. Before you go on strike or declare any dispute with the Rivers State Government, look through and check what the implications would be for Rivers State.”
Wike called on the leadership of labour union in the state to always place the interest of the state above other considerations in their engagements with the government.
Commenting on the Labour secretariat, Wike said that his administration would continue to partner with labour for the development of the state.
He said that the state government resolved to create an enabling environment for labour leaders to work towards improving labour/government relations.
Earlier, Chairman of NLC, Rivers State, Beatrice Itubo, commended the Rivers State Governor for building the secretariat despite recent economic challenges.
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Asset Maintenance Coordinator at APM Terminals
- Customer Experience Agent at Maersk Line
- Customer Success Executive at Interswitch Group