Police in India have arrested a Nigerian identified as Hope Uzodimma, 40, over alleged drug offences and unlawful possession of ivory and sword cane.
According to TheHindu.com, the Anti Narcotics Cell (ANC) in Mumba arrested him with the help of a fellow Nigerian, Chukwudi Fidelis, 30.
Fidelis had earlier been arrested for the possession of 64 grams of a hard drug known as amphetamine powder.
According to the police authorities, Fidelis had alleged to have got the drug from Uzodimma which necessitated the move to nab him.
“While searching Mr. Hope’s house, we found a 12 inch-long elephant tusk worth ₹1.65 lakh and a sword cane.
“Upon interrogation, he confessed that he had smuggled them from Nigeria,” senior police inspector Ravindra Budhwant, ANC, said.
He said the duo had entered the country on tourist visas, which looked fake to the police, and they would be verifying them.
The Senior Inspector of Police said the accused claimed to have a clothing business in the country but police suspect the claim is an attempt to cover up the smuggling.
“Mr. Hope has not yet revealed where he got the drugs from,” he added
Meanwhile, the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau confirmed the authenticity of the seized ivory.
The police in India have booked the duo under sections of the Wildlife Protection Act along with those of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act and the Arms Act.
Uzodimma and Fidelis are currently in judicial custody.
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Asset Maintenance Coordinator at APM Terminals
- Customer Experience Agent at Maersk Line
- Customer Success Executive at Interswitch Group