Former President Goodluck Jonathan has cited his perception in the way forward for democracy in Africa as the explanation he sacrificed his private ambition for a second time period in 2015.
The former President mentioned this when talking as a particular visitor of honour on the Oronto Natei Douglas Memorial Dialogue with the theme: ‘Nigeria’s Broken Electoral System, Uwais Report and Unfinished Business’, held in Abuja.
Jonathan, who was represented by Eze Akachukwu, his private envoy, mentioned he “sacrificed everything that may be important to people that believe that holding onto power was critical.”
“He believes in the future of Africa and that future can only be built on solid electoral processes. And he has continued this through his foundation (the Goodluck Jonathan Foundation) to pursue the work of democracy, peace and development.”
Jonathan recommended mates and civil society activists, who organised the dialogue, for his or her efforts to maintain the legacy of Oronto Douglas, who was an environmental activist and his Special Adviser on Research, Documentation and Strategy. Douglas died in 2015.
In his speech, former Senate President Ken Nnamani mentioned he has seen that the issues in Nigeria’s electoral system signifies that votes cannot rely.
Nnamani, who was represented by an affiliate, Mohammed Tukur, mentioned: “The Justice Muhammed Uwais Report on Electoral Reforms has many inventions that might restore credibility and equity to our electoral system within the nation.
“The 2019 elections also highlight a serious pathology of Nigerian elections. There is so much violence and crime associated with elections. Political desperation makes ordinary elections to resemble wars. We spend so much on providing security, yet we continue to witness a high level of violence and electoral crime.”
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021