I was 16 years old, a stark illiterate when I married my husband — governor’s wife
Mrs Aishatu Mohammed, wife of Bauchi Governor, Bala Mohammed, said on Saturday that she had no formal education when she married her husband. Mohammed stated this in Bauchi at the occasion of the “Naija Youth Talk”, organised by the Bauchi Field Office of the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF).
“I was 16 years old and a stark illiterate when I married my husband.
“We were 100 girls in our family; none went to school; I only started school after my third child,” she said.
She decried the high rate of illiteracy and early marriage among young girls in the state, blaming the situation on parents who believed formal education for the girl-child was a mere waste of resources.
“We were 100 girls in my family, but none of us had formal education; I had never been to primary school in my parent’s house.
“This is because our parents never believed in educating the girl-child; I struggled to go school, but they refused.
“I picked the challenge to be educated from my brothers and after I had my third child, I insisted my husband gets me a home teacher. “That’s how I started and I later went to secondary school. Today I am a graduate of Public Administration from the University of Abuja,” she narrated.
Mrs. Mohammed who emphasised the importance of educating not only the girl-child, but young people in the society, added that such move would curb crimes and social vices in the society. She called on relevant government agencies and organisations to ensure that parents and care-givers were adequately sensitised on the need to allow young boys and girls go to school.
- Factory Workers needed at Mikado Nigeria Limited
- Primary School Teacher Needed at Loyola Academy
- Vacancies for Subject / Classroom Teachers at Eminentville Schools Port Harcourt –14 Positions
- Front Desk Officer at Amaget Online Store
- Merit Telecoms Nigeria Limited recruitment for HR / Admin & Executive Assistant
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- Fraud: Release Me Please, Suspended EFCC Chairman Begs IG Of Police
- Ekpenyong Seeks Partnership With Calabar Municipal Council On Effective Healthcare Delivery
- COVID-19: SON Commends C/River Govt For Production of Personal Protective Equipment
- Just Now: Ondo APC Chairman Dumps Party, Joins PDP
- BREAKING!! Ondo APC Chairman Dumps Party, Defect To PDP
Share this post with your Friends on