Ighalo dumps Super Eagles
Nigerian forward, Odion Ighalo, has announced his retirement following the Super Eagle’s third placed victory over Tunisia on night at Egypt 2019.
Odion, who is the highest goal scorer in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, informed Coach Gernot Rohr of his decision before leaving to join his club in China immediately after the game.
“He had discussed his decision with the coach before the third-place match, saying that the constant abuse was taking a toll on his young family but he was advised to keep it under wraps for the moment. After the game, he gave his jersey as a souvenir to the coach, said his goodbyes and left,” a source stated.
Prior to the game, the 30-year-old posted a message on his WhatsApp status update that simply said “Final Game”.
“He has been very strong for us,” Rohr said, “And it is sad that he wants not to continue.
“But the door always is open for him any time.”
Ighalo, something of a late bloomer, made his senior debut for Nigeria in 2015 as the Super Eagles lost 1-0 to Uganda in a friendly.
He made 35 appearances for Nigeria, scoring 16 goals.
He was also top scorer through the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers with four goals and he could also finish the tournament as top scorer having scored five in Egypt. (The Nation)
VIDEO OF THE WEEK: SEX FOR GRADE IN NIGERIA
- Okay Guys, Let’s Talk!! Can a Police officer arrest a Corps Member? If yes, state your reasons
- TRUE OR FALSE? Don’t be a fool, no woman is dating only one man
- BREAKING: Tyson Fury beats Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas to become the WBC Heavyweight Champion of the World
- SHOCKING!! Banker’s Wife Pregnant For “Lesson Teacher” Hired By Her Husband To Teach Their Children
- BREAKING: Confusion in Rivers as PDP splits over congresses
Share this post with your Friends on