Forty-three families have been rendered homeless following an inferno at an estate populated by make-shift homes popularly called ‘Batcher’ along Ada-George/Wimpey-Iwofe link road in Obio-Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State.
DAILY POST reports that a church building located within the ‘Batcher’ estate with property worth millions of Naira was also caught in the fire.
Eyewitnesses said the fire started after an over heating cooking gas which was being used to boil noodles exploded.
One of the victims, Ekwot said, “The fire started when one man who was cooking noodles abandoned what she was cooking on the gas. The thing she was cooking was entirely dry.
“The overheating caused the gas to explode and the Batcher caught fire immediately and spread to other Batchers. The only thing I have left is what I’m currently wearing. All my properties are gone. I was at work when they called me.
“We need help, many of us are displaced
A member of the affected Church, Deacon Ebere Ihume said, “Our Church was razed. We don’t know how we will worship on Sunday but we will gather and serve God.”
The Rivers state Government is yet to react to the incident.
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Recruitment 2021 for a National Programme Officer
- NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarship Award List 2020/2021
- Latest Jobs in a Major Oil and Gas Dealership Company
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- International Medical Corps Job Recruitment ( NGO Jobs in Nigeria )
- Employment Opportunities in a Reputable Financial Institution