Professor Akanbi, the Vice-Chancellor of Kwara State University, KWASU, has said it does not make any sense for Universities to graduate first class students without job enabling skills.
His stance came after the recent statement by the National Bureau of Statistics, NBS, that about 21.7 million Nigerians are unemployed.
The Vice-Chancellor said that it was pointless for universities in the country to graduate first class students who will later become jobless because they don’t have additional job-enabling skills.
He revealed that KWASU in its effort to provide a solution to the jobless situation many Nigeria youths found themselves after graduation, decided to make it a norm to produce graduates that are readily engaged in one job-enabling skills/trade or the other before and after graduation.
“Our university is a university of community development and entrepreneurship. We get our students involved in vocational things and technical aspects.
Already, we encourage our students to engage in different entrepreneurial skills, acquire, hold, and consider all certificates important. It does not make any sense if you are a first-class student and you are looking for a job.
And I mean the First class in any program. You see our students engage in things like making face masks, face shields, hand sanitizers, some are into tailoring, some are into carpentry, some are into what I call mechanical automobile repair and things like that.
And in the past, the CAC has given awards to our students because we are talking of every year almost 2,000 students registering with the CAC because when you come in, it is expected that it is not going to be only a classroom thing.”
- Current UBA Bank Recruitment For May 2021
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager