Its A Crime To Insult The President, Says Supreme Court
The Supreme Court in Rwanda has rejected a challenge to a law which says it is a crime to insult the president.
The law, which was introduced last year, means that anyone insulting President Paul Kagame faces between five and seven years in prison, the BBC reports.
Lawyer Richard Mugisha had argued that the law was unconstitutional as it undermined freedom of expression.
The court ruled that the law should remain, due to the responsibility that the office holds.
The same court ruled that a law which prohibits writing articles or drawing cartoons that humiliate MPs, ministers or other government officials should be annulled.
Mr Mugisha had also argued that articles which criminalised adultery should be scrapped. The court rejected that appeal.
JOBS RECOMMENDED 4 YOU
- Federal Ministry of Water Resources 2020 Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- DSS Recruitment Application Form 2020 is Out
- Nigeria Air Force 2020/2021 Massive Recruitment for Airmen/Airwomen form (BMTC 2020) is out
- Nigeria Police Force Recruitment form 2020
- United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) 2020 Job Recruitment –3 Positions
- Massive Recruitment at Fortune Marine & Energy Services Limited
- Massive Recruitment at Oyo state civil service commission
- 2020 Massive Recruitment at The American University of Nigeria
- Ongoing Jobs Recruitment in a Reputable Plastic Manufacturing Company in Lagos
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- SAD NEWS: Nigeria’s First Female Combat Helicopter Pilot Dies At 23
- Ekureku Coronate A New king
- How To Apply: FG Officially Begins Recruitment Of 774,000 Nigerians
- N700m Fraud: Court Adjourns Ize-Iyamu’s Case To October 15
- Big Brother Naija Season 5: Winner To Get N30Million Cash Prize, Home And SUV
See more posts about
Share this post with your Friends on