JUST IN!! Imo State On Fire As Unknown Gunmen Set Newly Built INEC Office Ablaze
The Independent National Electoral Commission’s freshly constructed office in Okwudor, Njaba Local Government Area, Imo State, has been set Fire.
The arson attack, according to INEC, occurred around 11:30 a.m. on Sunday.
The burned office was commissioned shortly before the 2019 General Elections, according to reports.
Festus Okoye, the electoral body’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, said in a statement titled, “INEC office in Njaba Local Government Area of Imo State set ablaze,” that the latest attack brings the total number of INEC offices attacked nationwide to 42.
“Our resident electoral commissioner for Imo State, Francis Ezeonu, has reported that our office in the Njaba Local Government Area of Imo State was set on fire today,” he said.
“Despite the fact that no one was killed, the building was severely damaged, along with election materials, office equipment, and furnishings.
Okoye said, “The newest incidence has been reported to police for inquiry.”
“This incident comes exactly one week after our office in the state’s Ahiazu Mbaise Local Government Area was vandalized on May 23rd. It is also the ninth INEC office in Imo State to be assaulted since the general election in 2019.
“INEC facilities, infrastructure, and equipment are vital national assets that ensure the federation’s electoral activities continue.
“Attacking these offices is not in the national interest, and it has the potential to jeopardize election activities and the democratic process’ credibility,” he added.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- Career Opportunities at International Breweries Plc
- Abia State Government Recruitment 2021/2022 | How to Apply Online
- Restaurant Management Trainee Program at Sundry Foods Limited – 9 Openings
- Job Vacancies at Joemarine Nautical Company Nigeria Limited – 20 Openings
- World Bank Group Job Recruitment for Graduates