Muhammadu Sanusi II, Emir of Kano, has lost control of 34 out of 44 local government areas in the state.
This followed the splitting of the Kano emirate by the State Assembly, and the law signed by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje on May 8.
The state now has five emirates: Kano, Rano, Gaya, Karaye and Bichi. All Emirs would have equal powers and are to be on same first class status as Sanusi.
The new heads include Aminu Ado Bayero, son of late emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, who is the pioneer emir of the newly established Bichi Emirate.
The Emir of Gaya is Alhaji Ibrahim Abdulkadir Gaya; the Emir of Rano is Alhaji Tafida Abubakar Ila while the Emir of Karaye is Dr. Alhaji Ibrahim Abukakar ll.
Breakdown of the five emirates shows that Kano emirate headed by Sanusi has 10 local governments: Kano Municipal, Tarauni, Dala, Nassarawa, Fagge, Gwale, Kumbotso, Ungogo, Dawakin Kudu and Minjibir.
Kano and Rano emirates will control 10 local governments each while Gaya, Karaye and Bichi will control eight, seven and nine local government areas respectively.
Rano emirate will control Rano, Bunkure, Kibiya, Takai, Sumaila, Kura, Doguwa, Tudun Wada, Kiru, Bebeji.
Gaya emirate has Gaya, Ajingi, Albasu, Wudil, Garko, Warawa, Gezawa, Gabasawa LGAs.
Karaye, Rogo, Gwarzo, Kabo Rimin Gado, Madobi, Garun Malam LGAs will be under the Karaye emirate.
Bichi emirate will control Bichi, Bagwai, Shanono, Tsanyawa, Kunchi, Makoda, Danbatta, Dawakin Tofa, Tofa local governments.
The new law states that the modified Kano Emirate Council shall consist of five emirs, secretary to the state government, the commissioner for local government and chairmen of all the local government councils.
Members of the council will be at least two kingmakers from each of the five emirates and not more than five other members to be appointed by the governor.
The law added the chairmanship of the council shall be on rotational basis among the emirs.
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement