Story Written By Obeten Godfrey, Calabar
Tragedy struck at the busy Calabar/Ikom Highway, as a truck belonging to Black Hood Nigeria (BHN) conveying alcoholic drinks veered off in Ugep, Yakurr local government area of Cross River State, killing a young girl on the spot.
The incident which happened at about 9:15pm of Friday, May 1 2020, close to the former Mercantile Bank in Lebolkom-Ijiman, also claimed the life of the driver, and his conductor destroying properties worth millions of Naira.
The truck had run into the girl’s compound where she and her mother usually sell petty food items.
The young girl whose who was said to be the only child of her parents was crushed beyond recognition in front of her premises where the vehicle veered-off to; while her mum and few other people escaped unhurt.
According to sources, the vehicle was returning from the Nigerian Breweries depot at Abomege, in neighbouring Ebonyi State, to make supplies in Ugep before the incident occurred.
Another source said the driver of the vehicle had killed two persons earlier in Itigidi, Abi local government area; and was on the run before the second incident happened.
As at the time of filing this report, the remains of the girl have been evacuated by men of the Federal Road Safety Corps, but that of the conductor is still trapped.
Meanwhile, friends and family of the young girl have been thrown into mourning, with many describing the incidence as “ugly.”
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Career Opportunities at International Breweries Plc
- Abia State Government Recruitment 2021/2022 | How to Apply Online
- Restaurant Management Trainee Program at Sundry Foods Limited – 9 Openings
- Job Vacancies at Joemarine Nautical Company Nigeria Limited – 20 Openings
- World Bank Group Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health