An Upper Area Court, Jiwa, Abuja, on Tuesday sentenced a trader, Abubakar Isah, to three months in prison for abducting and raping a 16-year old girl.
NAN reports that the Judge, Mohammed Marafa, sentenced Isah, who resides in Mopol Barracks, Deidei, Abuja, after he pleaded guilty to two counts of abduction and rape.
Marafa, however, gave him an option to a fine of N20, 000.
He also advised the complainant, Benjamin Atoatsum, to apply for compensation via civil action.
The judge held that since the complainant could not produce a medical bill to the court to back his claim for compensation, he could only file for claims through civil action.
Earlier, the prosecution counsel, Babajide Olanipekun, told the court that the complainant reported the matter at the Gwagwa Divisional Police Headquarters on Aug. 28.
He said the convict abducted the complainant’s 16-year-old daughter, who was hawking groundnuts, into his room and raped her.
Olanipekun said that the minor was rescued on Aug. 29.
He said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 283 and 273 of the Penal Code.
The prosecutor, however, urged the court to grant the complainant’s request for compensation of N20, 000 spent on medical bills.
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Recruitment 2021 for a National Programme Officer
- NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarship Award List 2020/2021
- Latest Jobs in a Major Oil and Gas Dealership Company
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- International Medical Corps Job Recruitment ( NGO Jobs in Nigeria )
- Employment Opportunities in a Reputable Financial Institution