Chinedu Nweze, a man in his late 30s, in Ebonyi State, has set himself ablaze out of frustration.
The incident which took place beside one of the classroom blocks at St. Patrick Primary School, Kpirikpiri, on Saturday, attracted many sympathisers.
An eyewitness who pleaded anonymity, said a man whom she described as her neighbour at Umuoghara village, Ezza North Local Government Area of the state, said the victim sometimes manifested mental illness but noted that no one thought it would lead to suicide attempt.
Nigerian Tribune also gathered that Nweze before setting self ablaze, had tied both legs with a rope, before he poured petrol all over his body.
A container with a substance suspected to be petrol and a box of matches used in the act were discovered on the spot where Nweze was wriggling in pain.
However, the police who got a distress call arrived at the scene and acted promptly by taking Nweze’s body to Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki, where he is currently receiving treatment.
•Sourced from a Tribune report
- Current UBA Bank Recruitment For May 2021
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager