Former Governor of Abia State, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, who bagged 12 years in prison for fraud to the tune of N7.65bn, was heard begging the prison warders, after his sentencing, not to handcuff him in public.
Kalu, who is the Senate Chief Whip, also asked the prison officials “Where are you taking us to?”
The PUNCH reports that, as Kalu and his co-defendants were being removed from the dock by prison officials, they attempted to handcuff him.
The former governor, who appeared shaken, said, “Where are you taking us to now? Please, don’t handcuff me. I will follow you.”
Two unidentified women were also seen weeping as Kalu was being led away.
READ ALSO: Court sentences Orji Uzor Kalu to 12 years imprisonment
Kalu’s associate, Udeogu, was sentenced to 10 years in prison, while the company which was used in perpetrating the fraud, Slok Limited, was ordered to be wound up by Justice Idris Mohammed.
- Apply for Kwara State Internal Revenue Service Recruitment 2021 (KW-IRS Recruitment 2021)
- Guest Services Associate at Marriott Hotels and Resorts
- Logistics Officer at YellowPoint Group
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Officer at Save the Children
- State Technical Advisor at Chemonics International
- MoneyGram recruitment for a Regional Compliance Officer
- Supervisory Human Resources Assistant at the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos