Ondo State contingents at the ongoing National Youth Games, NYG, in Ilorin, Kwara State have drawn a battle line with the leadership of the Ondo State Sports Council following nonpayment of their allowances.
One of the coaches, Moses Usifo, who spoke with newsmen on behalf of the aggrieved athletes and coaches, accused the state government and the management of the sports council of negligence.
According to the coach, who described the development as a deliberate attempt to stave them of fund maintained that the is simply an act of wickedness.
“It’s still shocking that most of our athletes at the ongoing national youth games in Ilorin are starving, yet competing,” he said.
The boxing coach revealed that the athletes and coaches have not been given a dime since the commencement of the event and efforts to solve an imminent crisis proved abortive.
“We were told to wait till the month-end before we get the allowances but we have resolved to stop competing and remain in Ilorin until we are paid.”
Reacting to the development, the Commissioner for Sport And Youth Development, Dotun Owanikin said “To the best of my knowledge, this information is not true.
“I know you will discover at the end of the day that the remainder of the official’s allowances had been scheduled for payment shortly after the games while the athletes had been fully paid.
“Fully paid. l mean all athletes. The officials will receive their balance of allowances when they return to Ondo state. The gospel truth.”
The NYG tagged “Kwara 2019”, a 10-day event designed for athletes whose ages are not more than 15 years started on Sept. 7 and will end on Sept.17.
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Asset Maintenance Coordinator at APM Terminals
- Customer Experience Agent at Maersk Line
- Customer Success Executive at Interswitch Group