Nigeria’s former President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday said his decision to honourably accept the outcome of the 2015 presidential election where he lost to President Muhammadu Buhari brought great peace to Nigeria and himself.
Jonathan said no matter the situation, political actors should be governed by the power of love more than the love of power.
The former President as incumbent lost the 2015 presidential election to the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and now President Buhari in a keenly contested election in 2015 becoming the first president to be defeated as sitting President in Nigeria.
He stated this on Friday in a post on his verified Facebook page.
Jonathan’s comment is coming on the heels of the presidential election in the United States where opposition candidate of the Democratic Party, Joe Biden, is costing home to victory against President Donald Trump of the Republican.
The statement could be urging President Trump to accept the outcome of the election where a winner had not been declared since voting ended on Tuesday.
According to him, nobody’s ambition worth the blood of any citizen such politicians is seeking to govern.
Jonathan said, “Nobody’s ambition is worth the blood of any citizen.
“It is better to gain honour at the cost of losing power, than to gain power at the cost of losing honour. At any point in time, the power of love should matter more than the love of power.
“This is my philosophy. I have lived it. It has brought great peace to both my beloved nation and I. And I recommend it to all leaders facing challenging situations, either in government, or at the polls, or even in their dealings with fellow political actors. GEJ”
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022