Nigeria’s head of police Mohammad Adamu has established a new Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) squad to “fill the gaps” left by the notorious police unit Federal Special Anti-robbery squad (FSARS).
The force spokesman Frank Mba said the IGP had also ordered all personnel of the disbanded SARS to report at force headquarters in Abuja for debriefing.
“The Inspector-General of Police, IGP M.A. Adamu, NPM, mni has, today, 13th October, 2020, in accordance with Section 18 (10) of the Police Act 2020, ordered all personnel of the defunct SARS to report at the Force Headquarters, Abuja for debriefing, psychological and medical examination. The officers are expected to undergo this process as a prelude to further training and reorientation before being redeployed into mainstream policing duties,” Mba said.
Mba said prospective members of this new team will also “undergo psychological and medical examination to ascertain their fitness and eligibility for the new assignment.”
The SARS was dissolved on Sunday but there are allegations that they were still on the streets attacking and brutalizing protesters.
However, contrary to the announcement of the IGP, Nigerian youths has again come out to trend #EndSWAT claiming that the new unit is an advance arm of the disbanded SARS team.
A popular tweeter user, @UnclePamilerin opined that changing the name of the squad doesn’t give an assurance that the team is a new one.
“You changed their name, did you change their mentality. Abeg we no be pikin #EndSWAT abeg”
Some other Nigerians compared the new squad to an iPhone which is upgraded.
The #EndSWAT hashtag is now trending Number One on Twitter NG.
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021