In spite of the order by Gov Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State on Friday that the collection of levies or fees from students of the state’s public schools be suspended, some principals and headteachers on Monday reportedly collected money from their pupils.
Barely three days after Gov Abiodun ordered the suspension of the N3,700 Parents/Teachers Association levy, reports from parents across Ogun State have it that some schools started collecting levies first day of resumption.
DAILY POST learnt that some headteachers were also selling school uniforms to new pupils at exorbitant prices; a situation the Ogun State government frowns at.
ALG Primary School, Ilugun Asalu; Iyesi High School, Ota; Abeokuta Grammar School, Idi-Aba; African Church Grammar School, Ita-Iyalode; Government Primary School Ajegunle Abalabi and Adiyan Community Primary School, Ifo; our correspondent gathered, were among the schools that allegedly ignored Gov Abiodun’s order.
Likewise, parents, who took their children to some schools for enrolment were said to have been asked to pay N10,500 for each child as registration fees which they said, it included tuition and PTA fee.
It was also gathered that some headteachers were threatening parents and pupils not to disclose the amount of money they collected from them.
Meanwhile, the state government has condemned the collection of levies in public schools in its entirety; adding that it had not authorised any principal or headteacher to sell uniforms to new or old pupils.
Speaking on a radio programme, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Kunle Somorin, advised parents and guardians to report erring principals to the Ministry of Education.
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement