A 57-year-old prophet, Ebenezer Ogunmefun, has been arrested and arraigned before an Ogun State Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting in Abeokuta for allegedly raping a 15-year-old girl whose mother took to his church for spiritual cleansing.
While being arraigned on a one-count charge of sexual abuse, the police prosecutor, Inspector Moshood Hammed, told the court that the clergyman who resides at No. 1 Prof. Ajibo Toluca Pioneer Street, Olomore area, Abeokuta, told the victim’s mother that she was possessed by evil spirits and needed to be cleansed thoroughly.
The clergyman allegedly made the victim swear by the bible never to tell anyone he raped her.
The police prosecutor said the offense contravened Section 33 of the Child Rights Law of Ogun State, 2006. The clergyman pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The presiding Chief Magistrate, Solomon Banwo, granted the clergyman bail in the sum N750,000 with two sureties in like sum.
The Magistrate ordered that one of the sureties must be the defendant’s spouse and the other must be a community leader.
- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN Recruitment 2021 ) of Independent Infrastructure Asset Manager
- NGO Jobs in Nigeria for Finance Manager at FHI 360
- Latest Job Vacancies at Marriott International
- NGO Jobs in Nigeria for Program Officer at Catholic Relief Services
- Latest Career Opportunities at Interswitch Group