Popular Nigerian Hospital Cuts Off Lady’s Breast Only To Discover That She Ss Cancer-Free
BSUTH removes a lady’s breast only to discover later that she does not have cancer.
Serah Shimenenge Yugh is raising awareness about misdiagnoses and seeking justice against the Benue State University Teaching Hospital after she lost one of her breasts due to a diagnosis error during her NYSC in 2017.
Miss Yugh only discovered the mistake after 8 chemotherapy sessions, 25 rounds of radiotherapy, and a triple mastectomy on her left breast, according to the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ).
Her oncologist pointed out inconsistencies in the findings she presented at the National Hospital in Abuja. Her tumor marker examination revealed that she was cancer-free, according to the oncologist.
Following a series of back-and-forth between the two hospitals, as well as the intervention of an NGO called Project PINK BLUE, it was determined that she had never had cancer.
During a meeting with the then-Commissioner for Health in Benue State, she was offered breast reconstruction surgery and a job, but she declined both because she saw it as a ruse to silence her.
During the ordeal, the lady, who had lost her friendship and her dream of pursuing a Ph.D., demanded to know how she would cope with the side effects of the chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and medications she was receiving.
- Access Bank Plc Recruitment for Dutch Desk Manager
- National Marketing Manager at an FMCG Company – Nationwide
- Customer Service Representative / Operations Coordinator / Sorting Officer at Speedaf
- Financial Officer (NYSC) at Kadick Integrated Limited
- Production Supervisor in a Leading Paint and Coating Manufacturing Company
- Administrative Manager at CapitalSage Technology Limited
- Administrative Officer at HRbreakoutRoom