RONALDO RISKS 2YRS JAIL TERM FOR TAX EVASION
Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo will appear before a court in Madrid on January over a £14.7m tax evasion fraud.
The five time Ballon D’or Winner was charged by Spanish authorities in 2017 over money owed from image rights.
MySportDab report this was after a shell company British Virgin Islands was used to hide parts of his income between 2011 and 2014.
“The accused made use of a corporate structure created in 2010 to hide from the tax authority income generated in Spain through image rights,” said a statement by prosecutors at the time the charges were first brought.
According to AS, Ronaldo who signed for Juventus in the summer will now be sanctioned to appear before the court to hear the verdict – which a be a two-year prison sentence.
He has applied to the courts to appear by video-link.
Spanish law dictates that jail sentences of two years and under are to be suspended for first-time offenders, pending the accused not committing any further crimes in Spain during that period.
Ronaldo’s lawyer, José Antonio Choclán, had lobbied the courts for the sentence to be commuted to a €375,000 fine – the same outcome as was negotiated for another of his clients, former Real defender Fábio Coentrão, for similar offences.
That deal was rejected by presecutors.
Ronaldo has already paid up the bulk of the €14.7million which was outstanding in order to smooth over his move to Turin, and January’s court appearance will bring a close to the matter.
The final bill for the Portugal forward will ultimately top €18.9million once fines and interest are factored in.
While in Spain Ronaldo became Real Madrid’s highest ever goalscorer, netting 451 times after joining from Manchester United for a then-record £80million in 2009.
Ronaldo is also Portugal’s most-capped player, with 154 appearances, and record goalscorer, with 85.
- Vacancy for Personal Assistant at Empire Trust Microfinance Bank
- Ongoing Job recruitment in an Indigenous Non-Profit and Non-Governmental Organization
- Good News As Atiku Abubakar Commence Massive Recruitment weeks after sacking over 400 Staff
- 2020 Massive recruitment at American University of Nigeria
- Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC Recruitment How to Apply Now!
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- FG Approves Establishment Of 12 Research Centres of Excellence In Nigerian Universities
- Kogi: We Must Reclaim Our Stolen Mandate — PDP Gives Musa Wada Hope
- 2023: Will Atiku Take Another Shot At The Presidency, What Are His Chances Of Wining?
- Serious Trouble In NDDC As Akpabio, Ex-NDDC Managing Director Fight Dirty
- Lockdown: One Feared Dead As Police, Thugs Ransack Ogun Community
See more posts about
Share this post with your Friends on