Bright ‘Basketmouth’ Okpocha, Nigerian comic and actor, says stand-up comedy is dying in Nigeria.
He thinks various comedians are taking the simple manner out by doing skits fairly than truly doing standup comedy.
The comic made the comment on Thursday whereas collaborating in a panel dialogue on the Viacom International Media Networks Africa (VIMN Africa) discussion board held on the ongoing Social Media Week (SMW) Lagos.
Speaking on the theme, ‘Music, Content and Consumer Experiences…Changing The African Narrative’, Basketmouth urged comedians to enhance their content material for stand-up comedy.
“There’s nothing like a good joke,” he mentioned.
“A joke can at all times be improved and even I typically share a few of my jokes with fellow comedians and so they inform me it’s okay, however they later inform me learn how to make it higher.
“Doing skits on social media is very different from performing on stage. There is no filter on stage.”
Basketmouth urged budding comedians to make use of extra creativity in creating high quality content material that can fulfill the expectations of their target market.
He mentioned: “While it’s good for us to evolve, now we have to recollect to make content material that has substance. We want to know our target market and what they want.
“Create content that is buyable. All you need is good content and it will sell by itself.”
The ace comic additionally suggested upcoming acts to create a big fan base for themselves earlier than they search out manufacturers for showcasing alternatives.
The panel session, which had about 100 people in attendance, was moderated by Folu Storms, MTV Base video-jockey.
It featured contributions from Steve Babaeko, CEO of X3M Ideas Limited, and Ayeni Adekunle, founding father of BlackHouse Media Group.
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021