Two members of the House of Representatives on Sunday said the standing rules of the National Assembly should not be disregarded in deciding the mode of election of presiding officers of the Ninth National Assembly.
The News Agency of Nigeria reported that the lawmakers – Rimamnde Shawulu (Peoples Democratic Party-Taraba) and Kehinde Agboola (PDP-Ekiti)– made the remarks in separate interviews in Abuja.
There have been calls for the adoption of the open ballot for election of the leadership of the next National Assembly.
NAN quoted Shawulu as saying that any attempt to change the House of Representatives’ standing Orders in the ninth Assembly election without following the due process, would be an aberration.
The lawmaker said promoters of open ballot were not well informed.
He said, “Let them come from outside and amend the rules. President Muhammadu Buhari said he could not sign the Electoral Act because it was too close to the 2019 general elections.
“Now, we have some weeks to the election and you want to amend how leadership is elected. That is double standard. It doesn’t make sense.”
The lawmaker, who is the Chairman, House Committee on Army, said the rules would have to be amended at the lower chamber before anyone could talk about open ballot.
“The rules are already set. Any member who wants the rules amended can bring the motion to the floor of the House.
“If it is passed, it becomes law. But now, the rules of the House have been there since 2011.
“The same rules that led to the emergence of Aminu Tambuwal are the same rules that led to the emergence of Yakubu Dogara.
“There has been no reason to change, but if anyone thinks they should be changed, he can bring the proposed amendment,’’ the lawmaker representing Takum/Sons/Ussa/Special Area Federal Constituency said.
Source from NAN.
- Current UBA Bank Recruitment For May 2021
- NGO Jobs in Lagos for Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at DNA Learning Solutions
- Job Vacancies at Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager