Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, has finally revealed the player to be blamed for the injury time goal conceded by Nigeria in their 2-1 loss to Algeria in the semifinal of the African Cup of Nations in Egypt over two months ago.
Man City winger Riyad Mahrez scored a brilliant free-kick in the last minute of the game to send Algeria through to the final for the first time in 29 years.
Rohr said the Super Eagles players did everything in their power to prevent the ball from going in and Henry Onyekuru had to lie down behind the wall.
The German absolved the Monaco winger of any blame and pointed an accusing finger at goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi.
In an interview published by German newspaper Mannheimer Morgan, on Tuesday, Rohr said, “At first, it was unfortunate that this foul had even occurred near the 18-yard box.
”Then the wall wanted to jump, and one threw himself on the floor to fend off the ball. We took care of everything, just that our goalkeeper was not behind the wall.”
Daniel Akpeyi has not been invited to the Super Eagles since the end of the 2019 AFCON.
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Recruitment 2021 for a National Programme Officer
- NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarship Award List 2020/2021
- Latest Jobs in a Major Oil and Gas Dealership Company
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- International Medical Corps Job Recruitment ( NGO Jobs in Nigeria )
- Employment Opportunities in a Reputable Financial Institution