Some unrepentant bandits on Thursday attacked and killed nine soldiers in Zamfara State.
It was gathered that dozens of unidentified gunmen arrived on motorcycles, shooting sporadically at the soldiers and policemen stationed at Sunken community, just 30 km south of Anka town of Zamfara State.
It was learnt by highly-placed sources within the state government that the attack was a retaliation on the earlier killings of bandits by soldiers in recent times.
“Soldiers killed some of the repentant bandits and they vowed to avenge the attacks. The repentant bandits mobilized their men and unleashed terror attacks on the army formation in the village,” the source said.
It could be recalled that last Wednesday, they were said to have been spotted by residents on motorbikes – carrying a gang of armed men at Mayanchi junction along Gusau – Sokoto highway.
The gunmen were alleged to be heading to Birnin Gwari in the neighboring Kaduna State.
The attacks on soldiers came after two weeks of operation in Mayanchi village of Maru Local Government Area of the State which raised alarm over possible attacks on seven local government areas by suspected Boko Haram members.
When DAILY POST contacted, the spokesperson of Operation Hadarin Daji in the state, captain Oni Orisan said: “Give me sometimes, I will get back to you.”
However, he did not pick further calls to his mobile phone by our correspondent up to the time of filing this report.
- University of Delta Agbor Massive Recruitment for Academic Staff
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022