Office of the National Chairman
SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY (SDP)
8 April, 2020
Nigeria is at war. We are at war against an invisible enemy – the raging COVID-19, the deadly aggressor that invaded the global space with furry. At a video conference held on Wednesday, 08 April 2020 the caucus of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) reviewed the state of the nation and the efforts against the COVID-19 Pandemic and resolved as follows on behalf of the party.
1. To commend all party members and Nigerians in general for yielding to our appeal to stay indoors and comply with the directives of President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR which followed thereafter.
2. To salute the courage and patriotism of all Nigerians for their understanding and sacrifices thus far and to appeal to them to continue to cooperate with the Federal and State Governments in collective efforts to overcome COVID-19, the deadly pandemic.
3. That as this time calls for the very best in leadership, our leaders at all levels must rise up to the current challenges and provide Nigerians with exemplary leadership.
4. That the proactive method and creative approach of Lagos State and dynamism of Governor Babajide Sanwoolu and his Commissioner for Health should be emulated by other States of the Federation.
5. That the Shoddy and unwholesome manner in which the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development has so far handled the distributions of the palliative scheme of the Federal Government which is meant to cushion the social- economic effects of the ravaging COVID-19 Pandemic on the vulnerable group and the poorest of the poor amongst the Nigerian population is unacceptable and should be corrected.
6. That Nigeria being a Federation, and to ensure transparency, fairness and effectiveness, the relief intervention meant to ameliorate the suffering of Nigerians during the lockdown and beyond should not be politicized but administered efficiently through broad-based non-partisan committee at the National, State and Local Government levels. They must include professionals and civil society organizations and benchmarked against international best practices.
7. That this crisis, indeed a war situation, being one of the rare occasions to demonstrate that we can do the right thing the right way, the ongoing field approach of moving huge sums of cash around communities and having Nigerians congregate to receive stipends negates the very essence of social distancing and could aggravate the pandemic. The entire process of the funds disbursement should also be reviewed to allow for inclusiveness and ensure the necessary geographical spread of beneficiaries to all zones of the Federation beyond ethnic and partisan considerations reported to have characterized the scheme.
8. That the planned employment of one thousand (1,000) youths per Local Government throughout the 774 Local Government Areas of the Federation is a welcome development and should be done without partisan preferences and with utmost diligence and fairness and value addition to National Development in mind.
9. That the COVID-19 being an equal opportunity pandemic, the federal government must seize this unusual opportunity to improve the health facilities nationwide, motivate and inspire Nigerian medical practitioners to put an end to brain drain and health tourism while our scientists should denote more attention to research relevant to the crucial needs of Nigerians.
10. That all members of Social Democratic Party (SDP) and Nigerians in general should continue to cooperate with the Federal, State and Local Government authorities and demonstrate solidarity and highest level of patriotism as we collectively fight COVID-19 with our actions and prayers.
God Bless SDP
God Bless Nigeria
Prof. Tunde Adeniran, OFR
Social Democratic Party, SDP
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Asset Maintenance Scheduler at APM Terminals
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )